This stuffed squid dish from Crete is a must try for seafood lovers!
• 1 1/2 cups Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 kilo medium-sized squid
• 1 large onion
• 2 spring onions
• 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
• 2 cups rice
• Feta cheese
• Tomato salsa
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash and clean the squid. Empty them by removing the central membrane. Remove the tentacles and finely chop them in a separate bowl.
2. Add the onions, dill, rice, plums, 1/2 cup olive oil, nutmeg, a little salt and pepper. Stuff the squid with this mixture. Secure the end of each squid with a hard toothpick, so that the stuffing will not come out.
3. Place in a wide pot, add 1 1/2 cups water, cover them and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
4. Carefully take them out with a fork and place them in a Pyrex dish.
5. Sprinkle them with the remainder of the olive oil and lemon. Place the squids in the oven for 20-30 minutes at moderate temperature until brown. Let them cool and serve.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until golden, about 1 hour. Serve hot or at room temperature.